MSolutions - A Developer Review
It makes me sad to be writing this post 😥
We have purchased a large number of Msolutions modules, some we use some we do not. We have actively engaged with Msolutions to purchase all their modules so that we can support them commercially and help them succeed. I would like nothing more than to see all developers on the UNA platfrom thrive.
So it is with retreat that I am sharing this review and would never have done so, had Msolutions communicated and worked with us.
One of Msolutions best modules is also one of the most problematic, for a site like the one we run, the problem has cost us 1,000's of hours having to convert back to an UNA standard Set-up.
For the most part MSolutions modules function and do what they should do, the problem is in the detail, when things do not work as they should. This is where MSolutions modules fall down. Then they completely crash and burn when it comes to user support.
The Issues - A summary
We reached out to Msolutions because their Pretty Links and Usernames modules have some problems. Specifically with the Search Engines and then with Administration of the names and links.
A quick list of the top 5 issues. (There are way more, the list has been kept short intentionally)
- Msolutions does not stick to their own commitments or respond to communication.
- Firstly Google, Bing and Yandex do not always index the pretty links, it is best to submit the UNA default links, but it is difficult to find them due to the way MSolutions built the system.
- Users can change User Names, thus breaking all Search Engine links. (There is no admin function to prevent a user from changing a user name, there is no admin function to manage individual user names, you can't reclaim names that people are using incorrectly via the admin module, for example trademarks)
- Usernames do not work across all modules, ( for example they are missing for Groups and Events)
- Usernames do not become part of UNA's "Edit Profile" Page, it is a separate Block, this creates a host of problems.
While these could be amazing modules and for the most part they are pretty awesome, the can be the biggest headache you could implement on your site. For us it became a big problem because Msolutions stoped supporting their own products.
My experience with Msolutions support"
The screen shots focus on trying to get Msolutions to reply to us and not on the actual issues.
Wednesday November 11, 2020
Monday December 7th, 2020
Tuesday December 10, 2020 through Sunday January 17, 2021