The RC7 and the RC8 followup updates bring a wide range of improvements, new modules and core enhancements. We expect this to be the last "combo" update, as we switch to more frequent iterations.
While most of the changes are self explanatory, there are some goodies that need clarification. Please, review the list of changes carefully and read the commentary. This update is by far the most important and significant UNA release we ever had.
Below is the list of all changes. I'll comment on some of them...
Yes, it's happening! We now have an UNA module that assists with migrating your Dolphin data to UNA. It took a while as we needed to have a full set of matching content modules in UNA to "accept" Dolphin data, but here we are - you can migrate your Dolphin site to UNA now. Note, that this app covers default Dolphin modules only. 3rd party extensions and modified modules will not work with this script. Should you require assistance with migrating your site, or if you have customised modules that don't match the accepted data structure, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org - we offer an assisted migration service.
Spaces is the kind of module that may become the most used and most powerful "context-type" module in UNA. Apps like Groups, Events, Profiles work as "containers" for content-type items like Posts, Discussions, Files, etc. - we call such container apps "contexts". Correct arrangement and taxonomy of context-type modules is the most important architecture goal any community operator should be working towards, and the Spaces app is the first one to support "sub-spaces", or in other words, contexts that reference other contexts as parents. So, you can operate a platform for "Communities" that can be split into "Sub-communities", and if you think about potential applications, the power of Spaces can not be overestimated. We will talk more about this in a separate post, with some examples and a video.
A simple Glossary module allows you to add a library of "terms", which can be browsed by alphabetical order. A Glossary terms can be a mix of text and media.
Froala editor (instead of TinyMCE) is known for excellent mobile-friendly UI, seamless copy-paste images, in-line image editing, and built-in media uploader supporting remote storage. Also we obtained an OEM license for Froala editor, so you don't need to pay extra to Froala.
2factor authentication using Twilio is now supported in UNA. You can also use phone confirmation to activate profiles, so if before user became active after email confirmation, now you can choose to activate account when phone, or email, or both are confirmed.
Perhaps the biggest overhaul in this version is due to this Uber-important feature. It is now possible to post various content items (like Posts, Discussions, etc) to Groups/Events/Spaces/Profiles. The list of available options is formed from the Groups/Events/Spaces/Profiles that the user has joined or is following. Context can be chosen in Privacy field, since posted content inherits context privacy.
Score functionality - 1211
It is now possible to not just 'like' something, but also upvote and downvote. Reddit-style up and down arrows.
- Compatibility with PHP 7.2 - 1259
- JS/CSS/Translations pre-loader - 1249
- Make search form section selection more compact - 1244
- Report comment functionality - 1237
- Push notifications support for UNA GoNative app - 1236
- Studio Polyglot: search in current language
- Make forms to be able to load on demand if needed - 1230
- Ability to clear cache after module installation - 1207
- Delete confirmation for styles mix deletion in Studio - 1198
- Images were added into RSS feeds where possible - 1192
- Separate CSS classes for mentions and tags in content - 1177
- Delete backup files from cache_public folder - 1166
- System Emoji library - 1154
- Don't call service calls for disabled modules - 1153
- Page builder in Studio: full editor mode for HTML blocks - 1152
- Page builder in Studio: more consistent behaviour for page block layout - 1133
- Different approach for Embedly integration - 1135
- Template meta tag for theme color - 1122
- Ability to change editor style for particular comment object in comments - 1119
- Ability to override TinyMCE configurations - 1115
- Menus: add "hidden on: desktop, tablet, mobile" setting for menu items - 1114
- Border was removed from membership badge - 1110
- Code insert plugin for TinyMCE - 1107
- Universal function to process HTML after adding to the DOM - 1105
- At.js integration - 1101
- Timing profiling function - 1099
- Save referrer and IP upon user join - 1083
- Add option to assume external links in TinyMCE - 1088
Timeline: "Hot" sorting algorithm - 1226
The Timeline needs 2 main views - one working as a personalised feed and the other one working a smart discovery feed. So, we start with the new HOT algorithm - initially based on likes/votings. As we see it working in production mode more we plan to add more variables, like activity (latest replies), author reputation, likes, reposts, scores, etc.
- Timeline: edit post - 1127
Timeline: promoted posts - 1118
Another important improvement. Admins can now mark posts as "promoted", which will push these posts to everyones's Feeds regardless of whether the users are following the post author.
- Timeline: view item improvements - 1194 1113
- Timeline: videos autoplay - 1188
- Timeline: report button was moved into "More" menu - 1188
- Timeline: notification about new update in timeline on the current page - 1184
- Timeline: in timeline post make photo to be a link - 1174
Timeline: delayed posting for updates - 1164
Delayed posting is handy for admins or for users in blog-like communities, allowing for scheduling the publishing date. Same feature is available for Posts as well.
- Timeline: new settings, no privacy field on another user profile - 1155
Timeline: automatically detect link and attach it to the post - 1137
Known as "auto-unfurl" this feature will detect the link on post-to-timeline form as you type and will automatically attach the embed card to the post.
- General modules: parameter was added to disable error messages in different forms - 1239
- Profile bases modules: static link to own profile - 1275
- Profile bases modules: filter by different profiles types in following block - 1256
- Profile bases modules: service method to get profile cover - 1253
- Profile bases modules: minor config classes reorganisation - 1245
- Profile bases modules: filter profiles by membership levels on manage profiles page - 1218
- Profile bases modules: ability to search for online users and users with photos - 1190
- Profile bases modules: display avatar change image in a Timeline - 1172
- Profile/group based modules: recommended entries block - 1109 1220
- Text based modules: make first uploaded image to be selected as cover - 1224
- Intercom: additional settings - 1228 1167
- Intercom: don't display intercom on messenger page - 1169
- Intercom: Russian translation - 1168
- Invitations: module improvements - 1093
- Accounts: ability to filter operators - 1219
- Notifications: distinguish read and unread notifications - 1131
- Notifications: popup for notifications - 1128
- Videos: ability to upload custom poster for video - 1176
- Photos: multiple photos upload - 1108
- Posts: delayed posting - 1164
- Discussions: full editor mode for comments - 1152
- Polls: use full editor in poll creation form - 1151
Release Notes and Downloads
The latest UNA platform version is available at https://una.io/page/view-product?id=86
Update patches, source code and updates for RC7 and RC8 are available at our GitHub repo:
If your UNA settings have automatic updates enabled your site will update automatically to v9.0.0rc8.
We were waiting for this update to make some planned changes. Over the next couple of weeks UNA.io will lose all the modules we don't need here and will be reconfigured to work as a support site for UNA - not as a demo site anymore. At the same time we will have ONLINE.me configured as a sample site using most of the UNA modules and working as a live community. Another change will happen in our pricing schedule. You can preview the new plans here - https://una.io/page/dstart. The next version update will be mostly about performance and general UX/design polishing, so feel free to share any ideas or suggestions.